“Tuesday,” I muttered to no one in particular as I rolled out of bed. The minimalist black and fawn clock on the far wall read nine minutes past eight. The matches would start in less than a day. A hot drop of fear settled in my stomach. In just five hours, we’d be busy inside the building our hotel could see in the distance.

After a quick, hot shower, I dressed in my black uniform and sat down for a breakfast of croissants and eggs, accompanied by some supermarket milk. The rest of the morning was spent quietly, my nerves simmering as I tried to focus on the book in my hands I brought—and thankfully did not finish on the plane.

At exactly midday, a few sharp knocks sounded from the bedroom door. It was time for the final team briefing. 

“Coming!” I called out as I marked my place in the book and set it down on the nearby coffee table. I was relieved to find my hands still steady.

The team pits inside the centre Games Building were a stark contrast to the floors below. Wide, white university hallways were adorned with colourful geometric wooden shapes. Teams in their array of bright uniforms bustled about, pushing go-karts, carrying robots, and lugging wired tools to practise and judging rooms. As I approached the elevator, one of my teammates stood in the doorway, holding it open. About five others joined us as we boarded. A woman in a hot pink volunteer outfit—a pair of shorts and a halter top—winked at us. We smiled back.

The second driver slipped her safety glasses into one coat pocket and her phone into another. “Okay. When’s our first practice match?”

“Not so fast,” our head coach replied. “We’ve got a minute… twenty-two actually. Our cueing schedules’ leeway doesn’t officially start until thirty-six.” The excited buzz from the next floor was already in full swing. Glancing over my shoulder, I saw the first alliances gearing up. My heart did a small flip, and I quickly turned my head back to mask my nervousness.

“I’d like to give you all a piece of advice,” our Drive Coach began, ignoring the noisy background. “We aren’t guaranteed a result—nobody is, not with teams from multiple nations competing with incredibly sophisticated equipment and training. But if we stay resilient, we’ll last longer. Use your brains instead of relying on any friend you pick up along the way. Ultimately, stay close to your own teammates.” She emphasised her point with a levelled finger. “Not these good folks out there; they want to win just as much as you do. Remember you are all representing your country in this international competition. It’s not just about showing up out there; everybody is feening. Can you all feel that?”

“Yes,” I replied. “I feel it. We can’t wait either.”

Drive coach smiled, her grip surprisingly firm as she took my arm. “That’s why we should all be friendly to the other teams,” she said. “Now, this way.”

P.S. My trip to Australia for the Asia-Pacific Championships this season, for FIRST robotics, was truly eye-opening and our win wouldn’t have been possible without the incredible support and dedication of our entire team and coach throughout the season.

Touring Macquarie University and the Sydney city centre was a fantastic experience. The diversity in the games was fascinating—we connected with many teams, including a large number of Indian teams. We also formed close bonds with teams from Hong Kong and Australia. Not to mention, we faced an incredibly strong team from Uzbekistan, along with teams from Mexico, the U.S, and more!

After finishing second in the qualification matches, we went on to dominate the semifinals and finals, ultimately taking the win for New Zealand.

It’s going to be an experience I’ll never forget—an unforgettable day. 

That Tuesday.

Writer – Sophia Kong
Editor – Areeba Zabrina
Artist –Marianna Wang

–September 2024–